I will be able to find all of my jewelry, I will know where my car is at all times, my favorite shirt will not be in a pile of "I was going to wash that firsts". No reason to ask, "Where's my $20.00 bottle of lotion?" I will know where it is! I won't have a need to declare "wash the dishes before I get home"...these statements are all a thing of the past (for now). Nevertheless, when their summer break ends and they are back on the plane I'm reminded of the things we planned to do and....just didn't...get around... to it. Summers seems very LONG when you have young adults home from college, but someone said last night, "wow, you guys are a very affectionate family", always hugging and kissing. I guess I never really thought much about that. I KNOW I have great kids (didn't say perfect- great lol) and we really enjoy each other. Life is too short not to. Treasure every moment with your angels and realize that they need love just like we do.
Whelp, they are off to school again and I miss them already!
I am truly beginning to hate the term "empty nesters" - This stage in my life as a mother of young adults - who live on campus - 2.5 hours away (if it was further, i don't know) that I knew was coming from the first day I brought my little bundles of joy home. And even going through our ups and downs and saying "I can't wait till y'all get out of my house!" - I can honestly say that I was still not prepared to sit in this house alone. I just realized that everything I did was for the girls - the reason I woke up in the morning, all the decisions I made during the course of their life, and even the food we ate.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I hear the girls saying "let me go" but really - I didn't go through 9 months of pregnancy and all that weight (lot's of pounds) and 18 years of doors slamming, momma will you buy me, momma I need this and that - to wake up in the mornings to the only sound in my house is the alarm clock. I was very depressed the first two or so weeks - ok maybe month - with the girls gone. What do I do now? I could not answer that question for the life of me. I wanted to do things - go places but not without the girls. With the girls - life was perfect.
Now, I have to adjust to this new stage of life (and really I am not that old!), First, I was not so willing to accept it but every day has gotten a little better - I just kept getting out of the bed (ok many days I was real late to work) but eventually I got out of the bed. I am re-gaining my self back and re-defining who I am.
I do miss them girls a lot and it is a good thing we are all on the same cell phone plan! I pray that when we enter into the next stage of our mother-daughter relationship - I will be more prepared.
Awwweeee...you brought tears to my eyes! It sounds very new and fresh. I too, had the same emotions. I wondered what I would do next. Then, I remembered that I'd always wanted to write a book, always said I would. So, I channeled my energy into writing! I'm now the author of a book titled "My Pretty and Its Ugly Truth", soon to be published! Nothing will replace the time with a child, but my book has helped me to deal with this "loss".
ReplyDelete